The Center's beginning. . .
During War World 1, the Colored Soldiers Club under War Camp Community Services was led by Dr. Richard S. Grant and his wife, Lelia. The club was located at 218 S. Main Street. The club was established to serve the young African American men stationed at Camp Grant.
By 1919, the club was chartered and converted into a community center named the Booker Washington Association. In 1936, Booker Washington Association moved into the old Kent School building at 524 Kent Street.
Today, the African-American Resource Center at Booker is a beacon in the community. It continues to serve people through its various programs and services.
The story continues. . .